Leaving a greener festival footprint – the Zero waste way!
We have already featured an interesting green sound system setup, Bike Power, which uses people pedalling bikes to provide power to DJ sets at music fests. In this green festival read, we feature green blogger Crispino Santamaria who attended the Babylon music festival held a little distance from Melbourne, Australia. He is the marketing & social media coordinator of a green product we have featured Eco Soulife. Eco Soulife is an award-winning Australian sustainable cutlery alternatives to disposables, tried and tested by UrbanMeister and Guest Columnist Jessica Burgess. They were one of the goodie-festival-bag sponsors at the Babylon festival. Crispino decided to visit the event and share his thoughts on the sustainable aspect and eco-friendly initiatives of the event. In a well documented article Cris has managed to cover all aspects of the event highlighting how we can make a change and contribute to reducing the overall carbon footprint produced at these festivals.
Crispino’s good, green and not-so-green music festival experience!
Some of the things I tried was hopping on the festival transportation bus called The Banana Bus. I also carried my own Eco Soulife Bio Sip Cup made from bamboo, biodegradable cornstarch plates & mugs for my drinks. Besides this the festival had a few initiatives too like rewarding people who collected cigarette butts and having a volunteers’ team to collect waste from festival grounds. They also had recycle bins through the camp site.
Ecofriendly Bio Sip mug from Ecosoulife
The Sustainability Initiatives page on their website talks more about all the green initiatives taken by Babylon to ensure they maintained and preserved the beauty of Victoria. Like using eco-friendly glitter (yes! that’s a thing too), encouraging you to carry your own reusable bottles and more. To read the full article & tips of how you can do a festival the green way, click here.
Biodegradable Cornstarch plate from Ecosoulife
Some zero waste festival footprint tips for you music festival lovers!
1. Travel to the music festival as green as possible. Use car pool, public transport as much as possible.
2. Stay sustainable. If you are staying away from festival accommodation, try and stay in a hotel with green initiatives. If staying at festival grounds, travel light and take back all you bring to the festival.
3. Enjoy green. Bring your own reusable plates, bottles, cups and even straws! Yes! Straws are the new cigarettes, plus they are the top plastic waste item in any coastal cleanup. So get reusable straws and et al and say no to single-use plastic.
4. Volunteer! Whether a festival has a volunteer program or not. Spend a little downtime to collect trash you see around you and direct it to waste bins.
Shop green festival gear!
1. Reusable Bio Sip Cup, biodegradable plates and more from Ecosoulife
2. Reusable bottle from Dopper
3. Festival sustainable backpack from QWSTON
4. Reusable Bamboo Straws from Bali-Boo